Thursday, December 9, 2010

Favorite Concept

3). Pick a favorite reading and/or concept and discuss it.  Please tell the class why this was your favorite.


Last post! Bummer! :(


For my last post I'm going to write about my favorite concept. My favorite concept has for sure been self disclosure and identity on social networking sites. I really enjoyed the article, "Be Who You Want To Be" by Katie Ellis. I think this was my favorite concept because self disclosure and identity online are things almost all of us have to deal with (at least those with active social networking accounts). Since discussing this concept for our class I've definitely been more careful about what I post on my Facebook. I've also played with my privacy settings quite a bit. There are some things I'd like everyone to know, and other things that I'm more likely to keep to myself and a few friends.

I feel like I have several online identities. I have a LiveJournal account that I've had since middle school and I only ever go on there to read my sister's journal and post really goofy posts. I think anyone that would read my LiveJournal would definitely think I was on the brink of insanity. I'm pretty sure my MySpace account doesn't even exist anymore but when it did I had it super personalized. I had a cute background and a John Mayer music player. My Facebook is as personalized as Facebook can get but there are certain things I don't share with everyone. Like I've said before, some of my family wouldn't really approve of me living with my boyfriend so I have more restricted settings for them. I also have some privacy settings against my parents because I don't want them to see certain pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Veggles. Your blog was one of the ones I check frequently each week. I too enjoyed the section on self disclosure and the Internet. Playing with that issue this semester was interesting on the blog. I too don't fully disclose everything to every one either. I'm also living with my boyfriend (gives you a high five and says "Girrrrlll!!") Anyhoo, it's been real Veg. Huggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. I loooove it. We're sinners. Haha.

    ReplyDelete