Friday, November 12, 2010

Demystifying the Weigh-In: Body Politics and Identity Formation of Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia Girls.

While I for sure know that I want to do my final project on the online phenomenon of pro-ana and pro-mia communities, I'm not sure how I want to tie it into new media. The article I read this week helped me kind of lead me in the right direction. The article I read, "Demystifying the Weigh-In: Body Politics and Identity Formation of Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia Girls", describes how, "with new mediums, like the World Wide Web, to channel ideas, create platforms for change and make larger social connections, these cult-like movements are taking form". I think this is where I will center my research on. Furthermore, ther article discusses how, "Analyses of such websites have brought forth new views and lifestyle choices regarding body image, body politics, gender identity, volition, and the development of a feminist consciousness".

I really enjoyed this article because it helped me find a segway into New Media for the final project.

No comments:

Post a Comment