Saturday, November 13, 2010

The World Wide Web

It was really interesting to read this article because it had a lot of information in it that I didn't know before. I found it to be a pretty easy and interesting read because of the way it was written. To begin with, the first thing I learned came from the first sentence, "The World Wide Web (W3) was developed to be a pool of human knowledge, which would allow collaborators in remote sites to share their ideas and all aspects of a common project" (792). I definitely did not know about the beginnings of the internet and I guess sometimes wondered why it started. I can always remember having the internet and very vaguely remember my dad showing me his computer in his office and saying, "This is America Online...blah blah blah" when I was for sure under 5 years old. I also faintly remember something about the Klu Klux Klan being in Santa Cruz (???) and living in Scotts Valley that apparently really worried me (under 10) and my cousin said we could search for information online. The internet has always been really used at my house. 
 It's funny how the article says, "If you haven't yet experienced the Web, the best way to find out about it is to try it". For some reason that just gave me a smile on my face. Haha.
While I don't remember when I started using it on my own I feel like for the most part I always had a computer and the internet in the room I shared with my older sister...one thing I remember really clearly is looking up the Spice Girls and because I had no idea how to search anything, she was in charge. Haha. 
I loved 'the future' of the internet because while the terms describing it sometimes went over my head, I definitely know we've gone above and beyond the futuristic predictions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment