Saturday, November 13, 2010

New Media, young audiences, and discourses of attention: from Seasame Street to 'snack culture'

This article was a really interesting read for a lot of reasons. For one thing, we've (at least me and the people I hang out with, haha) have always heard that too much television watching as children will lead to short attention spans. Well, this article says there is no evidence in that, "...evidence has not been found to support the claim that watching television harms children's ability to pay attention". I did a debate a few semesters back and had the hardest time finding actual evidence that supported that statement (that there wasn't any evidence, haha).
It was also interesting to read how children's television was aimed at their short attention spans, with frequent and sudden changes in whatever was being broadcasted. I absolutely HATE that about kid's TV. There's always such sudden changes that sometimes it's hard to follow! Haha. One interesting thing I related that to is that I nanny a 1 year old who isn't allowed to watch TV aside from the occasional educational DVD. The other day I popped a DVD in and was suprised when the first thing that came onto the screen was a message saying something about babies' short attention spans and the video being more efficient if only watched in 5 to 10 minute segments.

No comments:

Post a Comment